Saturday, June 9, 2012

Should I Stay or Should I Go?


So, before almost every race I seem to have a minor meltdown.  Last night it was when I realized I had to quickly learn how to change a cassette (Pete talked me through it over the phone, but that was difficult as well, especially since my stupid phone kept suddenly losing it's signal and cutting out) which ended up taking over an hour, precious time that I would have preferred to use sleeping or perhaps putting speed laces in my running shoes, which I forgot to do...

The race went as well as could be expected, I was leading at the end of the bike, and surprisingly had enough of a lead that I made it out of transition first despite the fact that I had to put on socks and shoes and actually tie my laces (thanks to the stupid calf injury, I'm currently unable to run in my racing flats).  I managed to hold the lead through the first mile, but as I began the second, my calf became tighter and tighter... I ended getting passed by not 1 but 2 women.  But 3rd isn't so bad, that really isn't the worst part, the worst part is that I have my A race coming up in 2 weeks and I have no idea what state my stupid calves will be in by then.  Although I did slow down, the competitor in me just wouldn't slow down to the point of no pain lest I lose my "Top 3" spot.  So I plowed on, pleading with my calf to just make it to the end without completely locking up and forcing me to stop altogether.  I did make it to the end, slightly limping, and held onto 3rd.

Which now brings me to my subject line, should I stay or should I go?  I paid alot of money to do the Eagleman Aquavelo.  Actually, almost a year ago, before I knew I would even have this issue, I paid for the entire event.  Not wanting to completely cancel, I asked to switch to the Aquavelo, since the run was the only issue.  But now that I really overdid it, it hurt just to push down the pedals for my easy half mile spin from transition back to my house... so do I drive 3.5 hours (7 RT) and attempt to race?  Or do I blow it off to rest, hopefully recover, and maybe actually get some of my "To Do" list accomplished (who am I kidding, I'll spend most of the day on the boat tomorrow if I stay).  Should I stay or should I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment