Monday, February 3, 2014

The Reluctant Rest Week(s)

Despite my mantra to "listen to your body", it didn't take long for me to break my own rules.  Having finally gotten to the point where I felt like I could truly start "training" again, I started trying to pack in the miles and the hours... I made it up to 16 hours in one week, and considering my (lack of) time management skills, this was a great accomplishment for me.  Unfortunately, my body did not agree with the increased training and the degenerated disc in my low back, which hadn't caused any significant problems in over a year decided to flare up.  I went from 16 hours in a week at the beginning of the year, to only getting in 6-7 the past 3 weeks.  Not quite the start of 2014 I had planned on.  I remember a time when I looked forward to a rest week, but 3 in a row is far too many.  Once again I find myself having to struggle with the ideal training plan I want to do vice the realistic training plan that my body will actually do.  Not to mention the time and money for all the therapy required just to keep me going.  This will be my first season racing the "Masters" division, I guess this is part of my body's way of reminding me of that... on the bright side, I can finally bend over and touch my toes without pain, now if I can just find that fine line and stay on the pain-free side of it....

No comments:

Post a Comment